What up yo.
The evolution of David Fincher.
This did not begin with his directorial film debut, Alien3 film, it began in 1984 when he started to direct music videos.
Now there's 52 videos in all, and there's no way I'm putting them all on this playlist because with some of the earlier ones, it is brutally obvious that Fincher needed to pay the rent.
What I've done instead is assembled a playlist highlighting his work in broad strokes, where you can visually see his style developing.
There are landmark videos here. Vogue, Freedom '90, Englishman In New York...
The roster of artists that begin to work with the director as his vision crystallized, as he climbed the ladder of success, hit its peak in my eyes when he directed Madonna in Express Yourself.
For me, the first video I saw from Finch that awoke me to his precence (it turned out to be directed by Fincher) was the Billy Idol cover of The Doors "LA Woman".
I watched that video over and over when it came out for its photography, editing, tehnique and post-apocalyptic Blade Runner meets Mad Max-esque style. It was visionary, and by the time seven came out five years later I realized that video was directed by this man David Fincher.
He's been on my must-see everything tbis artist creates watchlist ever since.
Here is the video playlist, the list of videos, listed chonilogically by year, follows:
- 1988 | STING - "Englishman In New York"
- 1988 | JOHNNY HATES JAZZ - "Shattered Dreams"
- 1988 | PAULA ABDUL - "Straight Up"
- 1989 | JODY WATLEY - "Real Love"
- 1989 | MADONNA - "Express Yourself"
- 1989 | DON HENLEY - "The End Of The Innocence"
- 1990 | AEROSMITH - "Janie's Got A Gun"
- 1990 | MADONNA - "Vogue"
- 1990 | BILLY IDOL - "Cradle Of Love"
- 1990 | BILLY IDOL - "L.A. Woman"
- 1990 | GEORGE MICHAEL - "Freedom '90"
- 1992 | Alien 3
- 1993 | MADONNA - "Bad Girl"
- 1994 | THE ROLLING STONES - "Love Is Strong"
- 1995 | Se7en
- 1996 | THE WALLFLOWERS - "6th Avenue Heartache"
- 1997 | The Game
- 1999 | Fight Club
- 2000 | A PERFECT CIRCLE - "Judith"
- 2002 | Panic Room
- 2005 | NINE INCH NAILS - "Only"
- 2007 | Zodiac
- 2008 | The Curious Case Of Benjamin Buttom
- 2010 | The Social Network
- 2011 | The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
- 2013 | JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE FT. JAY Z - "Suit & Tie"
- 2014 | Gone Girl